Anyway, after sharing my Italian Seasoning Revolution, I went back to Winco and got all of the spices and herbs to make Italian Dressing Mix and Ranch Dressing Mix. I tried them out over the weekend and brought them to a few family/friend festivities along with a salad, of course. Both were very simple but turned out pretty well. I thought I'd share the recipes.
The Ranch Dressing Mix Recipe:
1/2 cup Dry Buttermilk
(I couldn't find dry buttermilk, so I replaced it with lowfat instant milk. I found out later that regular powdered milk isn't the best substitute for dry buttermilk... Oops. It worked out okay though)
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tsp Dill Weed
1 Tsp Onion Powder
1 Tsp Onion Flakes
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cilantro
(the recipe didn't call for this, but I love me some cilantro.)
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp Ground Pepper
Here is the recipe for the dressing:
1 Tbsp Mix
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Cup Milk
The dressing tasted good but turned out a little too runny for my taste. Rory and I tried to thicken it up by playing around with the proportions and adding a couple things but to no avail. I think it was worth it to try though.
The Italian Dressing Mix:
2 Tbsp Oregano
2 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Garlic Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Basil
1/2 Tsp Thyme
1/4 Tsp Minced Onions
For the dressing itself:
2 Tbsp Mix
2/3 Cup Canola Oil
1/4 Cup White Vinegar
2 Tbsp Water
The Italian Dressing turned out really well. I loved it. If you are going to try one of these recipes, I recommend this one.
-----------------------------
What I'm listening to:
Right now, I'm listening to Dan Auerbach's album Keep It Hid. When The Night Comes is probably my favorite song on the album.
Dan Auerbach is the singer for the duo The Black Keys. If you haven't heard of them, I pitty you. I LOVE them. They are so bluesy, raw, and brilliant.

3 comments:
We never had that many dressings around, but at least 4 or 6, it seems.
Lovely photos!
I love Winco too! I'm really going to miss it when we move to the middle of the desert. Did you try letting the ranch set up overnight? Maybe the dry milk wouldn't do it, but but the dry buttermilk ought to thicken it after a few hours of refrigeration. I don't think I've ever found the dry buttermilk at Winco, but Smiths gernerally carries it.
Your ranch recipie doesn't actually say how much of the buttermilk to include. Just thought I'd let you know (plus, I think I'd like to try both).
@Melissa- I corrected the post, it is 1/2 cup of dry buttermilk. Sorry about that. I did make the ranch the day before I needed it to see if it would thicken up. It didn't really make a difference. I would think that buttermilk would work better. I'll have to check out Smiths. Thanks for the tip.
Post a Comment