Here are a couple of blankets that I knitted. I'm happy with how they turned out. They both took a while, but it was worth it.
This blanket I made for my nephew. He was born 5 weeks early but luckily I had this done already. I was able to give it to my brother and sister-in-law at the hospital.

I got the pattern here. They call it the Wave Blanket, but they are also called feather and Fan Blankets. It is technically lace, since there are the strategic holes in the fabric. But, it was pretty simple. The most difficult part was keeping count of my stitches. I kind of got sick of the pattern since it was very repetitive. But I think it turned out considering this was my first knit blanket.


This second blanket I made for... well I'm not sure who. He or She has not been born yet. I'll say I made it for my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. Because they are not finding out the gender of their baby I had to find a cute gender neutral pattern.


It's called the Hip Hop Blanket. It was in my Stitch and B**** book that Rory gave me. I think I mentioned it before. I changed it up a bit. The original pattern had five scattered bunnies on it, but I thought I'd like the look of just one. Besides, it made the back a little more clean. I also used different yarn. I used an acrylic yarn from Hobby Lobby. I usually don't like to use acrylic, but this yarn was the softest acrylic yarn I've ever felt, so I thought I'd give it a try. I also learned a new colorwork trick with this blanket. I learned how to catch the color that I'm not using behind so that I don't create big loops of yarn behind the fabric. If that doesn't make sense, don't worry about it. It's just geeky-knit talk, anyway.


Right now I'm working on my third blanket. This one I'm making for myself. At first I was going really fast on it, but since it has been so hot lately, I haven't really wanted to sit with a big blanket on my lap to knit. Also, I'm still not sure how big I want to make it and how I want to finish off the edge. It's still in my current projects basket. But just know: It will be an awesome blanket. A blanket that will put all other blankets to shame. So stay tuned...
-----------------------------
What I'm listening to: No, I'm not listening to Weezer.
I'm actually listening to the title track of Thao and The Get Down Stay Down's album Know Better Learn Faster. It's a pretty sweet song.
I first heard of Thao Nguyen (the band's front-woman) in 2008 or 2009 when she came through SLC with The Hotel Cafe Tour. She was pretty awesome. It was a great show sans Lenka. She's not my taste.
2 comments:
Sam's grandma made us a blanket just like that wave one on top. We used it when he was blessed. Darling. I really admire how you can whip all these knitting things up!
you are ridiculous- these are FANTASTIC!!! do you remember making purses in either elementary or middle school and we would buy them from you? lol seriously though, these are freaking awesome
Post a Comment