Saturday, November 24, 2007

True Life: I'm no longer a Black-Friday-virgin


I was talking to my boss on Wednesday and he was telling me about all the great joys he had going shopping on Black Fridays in the past. He encouraged me to go and told me that it is worth it to go to just watch people get so exited about shopping. I started thinking about going and looked on the internet to find the great deals. Kaila said that she would like to go, so we planned on a couple places to go.

Thanksgiving night I planned on going to bed early, but that didn't happen (it never does). I didn't fall asleep until around 1:30 in the morning. Kaila and I planned on getting up at 4:00am. (I would like to add that no one really thought I would actually be able to get up and go so early in the morning... I showed them)

It was Kaila’s birthday yesterday and I told her that she should use that to her advantage and tell people so they would let her get best sales.

First we hit Best Buy. They opened at 5:00am. I think I got there around 4:40 and Kaila met me there at around 4:45. There were so many people there! The line went from the door all the way to the street, across from the Volkswagen dealership. I was worried that we wouldn't be able to get the things we wanted and wouldn't be able to have time to hit up the other place on our list. When we got in it was absolute chaos. There were so many people there that we forgot what we were looking for and ran around asking people where everything was. We did get a few great deals. I got an Epson printer/scanner combination for $24.99 (originally $69.99) and the Angels and Airwaves album I-Empire for $12.99. We were able to get out of Best Buy around 5:40am. Next stop: Target.

We got to Target at about 5:45 to see that the line to get in was just as long or longer than Best Buy. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get the camera I wanted because it was such a great deal. We decided we would have a plan. We were going to divide and conquer. She headed to the toy section for some Christmas presents and I headed to the electronics. I asked someone who worked there if they had any of them left. He said that there were but pointed to a rack that had a lot of people between it and me. I was worried that they wouldn't be there long enough for me to get one. Just then someone handed a box to me saying that he decided against it. I looked at what it was and saw that it was the camera. He overheard me and probably saw how worried I looked. I thanked him and went on my way. I also picked up a 1g memory card for the camera. The camera was Kodak’s MD853. It has 8.2 Megapixels and 3x optical zoom. Originally $179.95 but I got it for $89.00. It was also on the Consumer Reports website as best value for your money. It was such an awesome sale that Kaila got the digital camera too. The memory card was originally $49.99 but Target had it on sale for $9.88.

All in all, it was a great shopping day. I was very happy with my purchases. Would I go again to hit up another Black Friday sale? That would depend on the sales, but I will probably try to avoid them.

The pictures I have taken with my new camera. More to come.

3 comments:

ML said...

Wow! Congratulations! and I love the pictures!

Zachary said...

You did show us. I didn't think you would get up. Way to go!

Gretch said...

Congrats on no longer being a "black Friday virgin" I too doubted your abilities to get up so early-I was truly surprised to call you at 6:30am to make sure you were up when low and behold you were already done shopping!! Crazy girl! :-)

I love the pictures! What cute girls!