Tuesday, November 6, 2007

True Life: I am a car owner!

A few months ago I decided that I was going to look into buying a car because, after a year of having to bum for rides everywhere, I thought that I deserved it. I felt like I really did my research. I looked online at pricing as to not get ripped off. When there was a specific car I was thinking about, I made sure to look at the carfax report and ask about any problems it may have. I asked people I know and trust about brand reputations. I didn't want to buy a car that would break down often or end up with a car that I just couldn't afford to fix when/if it did. I found some great websites actually. Here is one to look at just for fun. (This was not part of my research) It is a list of ten cars tagged with the worst reputation. They talk about everyting from the Gremlin to the Pinto, it's great.

I ended up buying a car from my friend who's dad owns a car business. They got me a good deal on a good car. It is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT. It only had 13,000 miles on it when I got it, and it is still under warranty for another 3 years. Right now it averages 32.4 mpg and it has a manual transmission. It was difficult for me to drive it at first but I got the hang of it (I have never been much of a manual transmission kind of girl). It is working out though.



Yesterday, I had the pleasure of taking it to get the oil changed. It was quite exiting. Where are places that you would recommend getting your oil changed? And what prices are reasonable. I paid around $26 dollars. I went with Chase once when he bought the supplies to change the oil in his car himself and it was almost $20 dollars, so I thought $26 was a pretty good price when I don't have to do it myself, and it took 20 minutes. What do you all think?

I also recently got a key fob for my car which I bought on ebay for $23, including shipping. I was worried about it working and didn't know how to program it to my car. I was told to go to the Hyundai dealership in Orem and they were able to program it to my car in about 5 minutes. They also did it for no charge. Sweet!

Anyway, it was a pretty good buying experience. I am totally enjoying my purchase.

Happy Driving.

4 comments:

Zachary said...

You did a good job on your car. The oil change sounds like about the right price...I recommend Payson Oil N Go. They always treated me really well.

Anonymous said...

Nice choice. Hyundais are a great value.

Nathan and Esther said...

wow bridgett, way to go! i'm 24 and I still haven't bought a car. Very impressive on how you went about buying your car, and it is way cute!

Gretch said...

You're such an adult Bridgett. I'm proud that you're doing such grown up things. True dat!, double true!!