Ever since June, when I went to visit Gretchen's family in Washington, Paige simply didn't like me. She told me so herself. Every time I would try to help her with putting her shoes on, brushing her hair, or even just getting a hug she would scream for her mom to help her get away from my monstrous self. I don't believe anything to deserve the hatred of a two-year-old. Once, while I was visiting, I babysat the girls. I may not have made her happy when I told her that she had to go to bed, but I was always nice to her.
Whenever they would come visit, Paige would never come to me when I would want to talk to her. In fact, she is pretty good at giving the silent treatment for a two-year-old (actually, she is probably better than me).
While taking on the phone to Gretchen, she would try to get her to talk to me. Paige didn't even like me enough for small-talk.
Near the end of their last trip out, we decided that I should take some time to spend with her and treat her to some ice cream. That sort of worked while the ice cream was still frozen but afterward, it was the same old story.
On Saturday, I called Gretchen. During our conversation I heard a small voice saying, "Mommy, who are you talking to?" After Gretchen told her that it was me I half-way expected her to make vomiting noises to show her disgust. Instead, I heard her declare, "Can I talk to Bridgett; I like her now..." We were able to talk about what color she thought she should paint her nails and she even told me that she loves me.
Now, I am happy to say that: Paige likes me now.
2 comments:
Hey! When did you change blogs?? I have your Hello Kitty One linked. I will fix that. And YAY!!! Paige Likes You! Love ya sis!
Earning the love of a 2 year old is like earning the love of an old cat. Somedays they love you but most days they don't.
Adorable little story.
Post a Comment