Monday, July 18, 2011

An Ode to Rory

This post has the potential for becoming cheesy; bare with me. But some things are worthy of cheese.

Ahh... Rory. Where to begin? I absolutely love this man. Three years ago today we were married in the Salt Lake Temple. It was a beautiful day. A wonderful wedding. We had our reception the night before. (*Gasp* I know! Untraditional? Yes, but it was a brilliant idea. [Trust me, we had to fight certain traditional family members for it. They later said that it was a great idea. Go figure.]) So all we had to worry about that day was the luncheon, ceremony, and pictures. Everything lead up to the ceremony. It was perfect. He looked dashing in his tuxedo, I wore my white gown and Grandmother's necklace. I was lucky enough to wear my mother's wedding dress (which she made) for the ceremony. Have I mentioned that it was perfect?




We weren't very nervous. You were nervous when you asked me to be your wife, but on our wedding day, we just felt... right. I only cried after I saw my sister crying (happy tears). Sisters have that effect, you know. Other than that, I felt fairly calm, considering it was our wedding day. We felt right.



We held each other's hands so tight that day. I remember vividly. All day. It was perfect. We were so happy to start our life together. The way he looked at me that day made me weak and want to jump up and down hip-hip-hooraying all at the same time. The way he looks at me still makes me feel that way. And I sometimes see him look at our little girl with that same amount of love. I can't think of a better way to describe how that makes me feel other than: pure joy.

Over the last three years I can safely say that we've fallen more in love. Rory understands me better than anyone I can think of. He even loves me for my quirks that he doesn't understand. Like the way I totally throw myself into new things/hobbies/ideas/what have you, my unexplained fetish for socks, the way that I can't stand when pajama pants ride up exposing my ankle to cold air, but I can wear shorts to bed just fine. (Man, I'm coo coo.) I love his little quirks too. Always experimenting and putting ketchup on random food (the man is easy to please), beat-boxing with Miss Fifi, forgetting his keys, the way he says things that don't make sense to be funny, his excitement over Yo Gabba Gabba. He's just so cute.

I love all the sweet things he does for me too; rubbing my feet nearly every day when I was pregnant, helping to roll me out of bed when I was REALLY pregnant, listening to me talk his ear off about my new hobbies or things I learn, taking the pink toothbrush because I like green better, watching Project Runway with me, offering to take pre-natal vitamins with me because he knows how much I hate swallowing pills, going to the store at 3 am for a medicine (Again, while I was pregnant.) then being able to give me a blessing after, letting me talk him into an uber-extreme money plan that some friends and family think we are crazy for, changing most of Miss Fifi's diapers (unprovoked) when he is home. Isn't he sweet? I couldn't have imagined a better fit for me. And, I wouldn't trade our conversations for $1,000,000. Rory is wonderful.

Rory-

I've told you this many times, but it seems to become more true every day: "I'm so glad I married you." After three years of marriage, but still very much at the beginning of our marriage: I love you, Rory.

-B



-----------------------------
What I'm listening to:

Today, I'm listening to our wedding songs. We had two. (We love music, what can I say?) In no particular order:

Reasons to Love You by Mieko and

When She Believes by Ben Harper (Grooveshark doesn't have the rights to any Ben Harper, so you're stuck with a poopy video from youtube.)

*Photos courtesy of Raquel Acevedo.

3 comments:

Celeste said...

Good job on finding a guy you like. I love that top photo of you.
I wore my deceased aunt's necklace when I was married and it was one of my favorite details of the day. Hoorah for family heirlooms!

Zachary said...

Congratulations Sis and Bro...You guys are a perfect couple. Love you both!

Charlotte said...

Firstly, I love this post, and I love your wedding-day reflections. My wedding day was only nine months ago, but I remember holding his hand all day long, and it was wonderful. So, happy anniversary!

Secondly, your comment made perfect sense to me, and I agree with your comment 100 percent. I've thought those thoughts so many times, and I hope to express those eventually in a follow-up post. It makes me so sad to see so many women who don't know that they're daughters of an all-loving Father in Heaven. That knowledge has meant everything to me, and it's the one foundation that won't ever fail us. I hope that I can teach my daughters this. Thanks for chiming in on my feminism post; I love knowing that other women out there share these thoughts and feelings.