Thursday, May 19, 2011

Give a Baby a Hat; She'll Wear it a Day, Teach a Baby to Knit... You'll be an Instant Millionaire

I've been knitting a lot of hats lately. I want get to where I can just think up an idea for a hat and design my own pattern to do it. I'm a long way from where I want to be, but I feel like I'm improving.

I've had a number of friends who've had babies the last couple months. So, to practice my hat knitting skills, I have knit hats as gifts for them. I figured that it might be a good gift because I didn't think to have many hats for Miss Fifi before she was born. (Since she was born in October, she desperately needed them for winter) I wanted to come up with a design that would fit a newborn well. A lot of patterns (as well as hats you can buy) are really too large for a newborn. They often look like they might drown. We don't want that, do we? In fact, my favorite "newborn" hat design fits a seven-month-old Miss Fifi. But, I want to make hats that fit perfectly for the pretty-much-always-bundled-up-even-in-summer stage. I will have to play around with this design some more.

Anyway, here are a few of my attempts. Let me know what you think.


Attempt One:


Attempt Two:
I like the style of this one. You know- the folded over top. (Does that even make sense?)


Attempt Three:
This one is my favorite, so far. I love the cables. It looks so classy, but it is rather large.


Here it is on Miss Fifi. She's seven months old, hardly newborn size.

The white flower she is wearing was made by a friend in my ward. Here is her Facebook fan page. It's currently my favorite flower for Miss Fifi.

1 comment:

Shelbert said...

I like the cable pattern one the best. You can use it for Sundays or anyday.